UK

Welcome to a blog all about the UNITED KINGDOM, by a Brazilian student who goes to an American school and is passionate about Britain and its influence in Music, Comedy, Sports, and Language.

Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Shakespeare's Biography - Part I

Within my visit to England last year, I also visited hometown of the greatest poet of all times, William Shakespeare. During a couple of days in Stratford-upon-Avon, I visited Shakespeare's house of birth, museum, and tomb.

Records from Holy Trinity Church indicate that Shakespeare was baptized there on April 26, 1564. There is no way of knowing his exact date of birth because other records have been destroyed. John Shakespeare, a glover and leather merchant, was Shakespeare's father, and Mary Arden, a rich local heiress, his mother. He was third of eight children, but three died in their childhoods. The Shakespeares were a wealthy family until their fortunes declined in the late 1570s. Also, it seems that he went to the free grammar school in Stratford. By the time he was 18 years old, Shakespeare married a woman named Anne Hathaway and had three children with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment